Monday, February 1, 2010

Potential Gaming Project

Fresh off my victory in 'winning' NaBloPoMo in January, I talk about a possible project within my gaming hobby.

In between dealing with mind-numbing work issues today (just a parenthetical aside...I listened to, and agonized every moment of, a conference call today that was the epitome of why we as a species will never reach our true potential...back to the post), and slogging through a greater than normal amount of project related problems, the tiniest seed of an idea popped into my head. As the day wore on, I chewed on it some more, during free seconds stolen from searching for technical data and filling out client forms, and it seemed more and more interesting and feasible. Driving home this evening, looking forward to seeing my family, I devoted more thought to it and it felt more and more feasible. Tonight I've decided to blog about it, if nothing more than to create a record of the idea, in case this attempt doesn't get off the ground there's a record of the thought for future me to look back on and say, "Hey, that was a great idea! Let's do it now!" At least, that's what I hope I would say...

Based on the relative flurry of game purchases over the weekend, and the theory that I need to curb my spending on just about everything, I came up with the following idea: I'll look through the catalog of games on my hard drive, especially those I bought and for some reason or other never installed and/or played, and develop a list, which will be posted here. I'll take one of those games every couple of days, install it on my system, play it for at least an hour, and post my impressions here.

The entire scheme could end up being great little project, and would kill several birds with one stone. First, this process would provide me with digital entertainment, as I would be raiding my own library for titles to play. Second, the experience of playing these games should generate topics to discuss here on the blog (lucky you!), and extend my posting streak. Third, and most important to my wife, it would be a free way to accomplish the first two goals, always a huge bonus in our family. The downside of the whole thing, and this is a big downside, is that it involves me demonstrating some personal discipline in not buying any more games during the project, while also actually setting a schedule and sticking with it long term. Considering how scatter-brained and easily distracted I am, it doesn't bode well.

To give you an idea of the scale of this endeavor, as of this writing, I have 38 games on my Steam list, of which no less than 20 I have no experience with, whether it be now or in the past. This doesn't include at least seven other games on my hard drive not associated with Steam that haven't cast their glow through my monitor as of yet. To add to this, there are four games I've received from Goozex lined up neatly beside me, begging to be played. Even more daunting, this doesn't count the number of console and handheld games stacked on my shelf, a fair number of which, you guessed it, I haven't played yet.

Laying the groundwork for this project, it appears to fall into several steps.
  • Develop the list of games I haven't yet played, separated into PC games, games by console, and games by handheld system.
  • Develop a schedule sorts in which to approach the task, whether it be simply the order that I'll play the games, maybe attached dates to games, or some other method.
  • Attack the list of games, in order, playing each for at least an hour, and post my impressions here on the blog.
I can't help but feel optimistic about this project, even though my track record indicates yet another crash and burn. Have I mentioned yet that I don't possess a whole lot of follow through? Anyway, that's enough on this topic for now. Look for a list of games here in the next few days, as well as an approach to tackle them.

One last note: I was more tickled than you can imagine when I saw that Logan Decker, the current EIC of PC Gamer had posted a comment on this post, where I discussed his magazine. To reach out and spend the time to post on this blog that very few people read is pretty cool, and I appreciate it a lot. So thanks to Logan and his team for making my reading time all that much better, and continued success with the magazine!

No comments: