Saturday, January 16, 2010

Better Late than Never

Day 15ish in my quest to win NaBloPoMo has me filing a late entry, due to traveling concerns.

It's way too late, or way too early, depending on how you decide to classify the time. Because the family and I packed up the minivan and traveled the 6 hours to my hometown, this entry technically is not filed the day it should be, but I hope for leniency in the judgement to keep my streak of a post a day alive. Technically I haven't gone to sleep yet, so it could count as a post for the 15th, even though the clock says otherwise. Anyway, I won't bore you with my internal arguments. Instead, I'll bore you with something else.

Having spent some time with the iPhone over the past few days, I really feel that it could be a tool used for good or for ill, when it comes to my productivity. For example, from a media sharing standpoint, I've already posted a couple of short videos via Twitvid, though they aren't anything to write home about. There's an app I downloaded, called Dragon Dictation, which I could see myself using to get some of the thoughts in my head onto the computer screen. I've also considered the use of the voice recording function to capture the ideas that float around in my head at times when they can't be written down, and conveniently are forgotten when I try to recall them later. It's small things like this that, if I integrate them correctly into my daily routine, really could provide tangible benefits down the road.

However, there's another edge to this sword. The games available on the platform can suck away my time and will to be productive faster than a jackrabbit on a date. Doodle Jump currently has its hooks in me, as well as Mass Effect Galaxy. Two distinctly different tastes, mechanics and experiences, but both provide amusement in bite-size chunks. Also loaded up and waiting for a test run are the lite versions of Poker Quest, Star Hogs, Words with Friends, and Mr. Aaaaaah! The next few days, spent in the relative peace of my parents' home, could prove to be a great place to give all of these a test drive.

My excitement over having the iPhone hasn't waned since acquiring it, instead it's gotten stronger. The possibilities for use seem endless right now, and I can only hope to figure out ways to integrate the potential benefits into my routine to augment or improve what I do now, not just for the sake of doing so. That's the big challenge facing me right now, and here's to hoping I get it right.

That's all for now, since my eyes aren't really focusing on the text anymore. Take care and see you later today!

No comments: