Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Moment of Peace

For the 21st consecutive day of posting an entry to my blog, in honor of NaBloPoMo, I take just a moment to breathe.

One morning, I looked out the window of the home where I'm staying this week, and this was the sight that greeted me:


A beautiful winter landscape stretched out before me. The sky was overcast, the air was thick with falling snow, and a silence hung over everything. In all of my frantic running around, taking care of children, working to put food on the table, and enjoying the wonders technology has to offer, I had forgotten what quiet really is. Looking out over the newly-fallen snow, I took a deep breath and soaked in the scene.

This picture now serves as the wallpaper on my work laptop, in the hopes that when things are at their most frantic, when I feel like my head is going to explode, I can look at the picture and try to recapture in my head the feeling of peace that engulfed me on that day. It may only be a pipe dream, but if it can help me just once through a day or period of chaos, then it will have all been worth it.

I'll end tonight with a quote that struck me today, found on the Answers.Com Twitter account...

"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it." - Maya Angelou


No comments: