Sunday, August 30, 2009

Arkham Asylum, and the Weekend That Was

I've gotten only a little bit of time to play games this weekend, thanks to family commitments and trying my hand at some minor home projects, but that time was well spent trapped in Arkham Asylum. From what I can tell so far, all the hype and internet love is justified. The game's aesthetics are incredibly appealing, I really enjoy the combat mechanics and slowly getting a grip on the stealth mechanics, but what I've really enjoyed so far is how the game advances the plot. It's hard to get tired of the Joker's insane ramblings over the intercom, Harley Quinn's videos, or even Oracle's popping in over the radio on occasion to keep ole' Bruce up to date on the happenings. The story itself is one that I can really appreciate and get behind, and I look forward to discovering all the different surprises that are in store later on.

Still working my way through Shadow Complex, and contemplating if I should try to get 100% completion on this playthrough or simply finishing the game and starting a second attempt. Like a wuss, I played this one on casual, but will obviously bump up at least one difficulty level, and possibly two for the next attempt. The one thing I can't seem to get that could cause some frustration is getting the last weapon, located near the last boss (I think). It involves activating a lever, which opens a door and me rushing back to try to get to that door before it closes again. If anyone has a suggestion about how to accomplish this, I'm all ears.

Other than not having much time to play games, it was a great weekend overall. Not being lucky enough to have the handy gene passed down from my dad, I managed despite that fact to replace a bathroom light fixture without dying tragically with my foot in a sink and my hands wrapped around live wires. Hey, I take the small victories where I can. In the 'I can't get this time in my life back' category, the wife and I watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Even knowing how badly this movie was panned when it came out, I really wanted to like it, if only because it was another Indy movie. Alas, it was more hokey and unbelievable than even I could handle. Seriously now, an alien skull? C'mon...

No comments: