Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Random Question (Game Culture Related)

Why is it that gamers feel like every game that's made should be made especially for them, and deride games that they're not interested in, calling them 'baby games' or worse? For example, I have no real interest in the 'Imagine' series of games from Ubisoft, but they're not being marketed toward me, now are they? That doesn't make them bad games necessarily, just a type of game that I don't feel the need to play. Clearly they're doing something right, as they've sold millions, and created countless spinoffs, copycats, etc. I'm not going to insult them or even worry about them, and that's ok. I can go and enjoy RPGs, adventure games, and the occasional shooter as well, without stooping to the level of belittling a genre for which I have no interest.

Is it because, as a medium, gaming is young? People in general tend to accept the fact that there are types of books that they have no desire to read, or movies that they don't want to see, but it's acceptable that they're made. I'm not a particular fan of horror movies, but that doesn't mean I wish that they were never made. The same goes for romance novels; I find them pretty much useless and would rather read the instructions on how to put together a 493-piece article of furniture from IKEA (useful, yes, but particularly interesting or thought-provoking, no) than spend time with the latest bodice-ripper, but I respect the fact that 50% or more of the fiction sold in the US are romance novels. It's just not my bag, baby.

I don't have the answer for this question, and if I did, you can be sure I'd be getting paid to answer it, instead of writing a (probably) grammatically poor blog post during my lunch hour. It would just be nice if gamers could realize that all games aren't made for them personally, and that it's ok for games to cater to a wide variety of ages and interests. If anyone is reading this, and has an opinion, please leave a comment.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled lives. I'm going to spend the rest of my lunch hour playing Final Fantasy, thank you.

No comments: