Friday, August 7, 2009

Fallout 3: Losing its Luster?

I think I may finally be finished with Fallout 3.

"Of course you are," you're saying. "We all are. Clearly you downloaded and ran through the last DLC, Mothership Zeta, just like the rest of us Fallout addicts, and now you're whining because there won't be any more new content until the New Vegas game next year."

Actually, no, Mr. Smartypants, that's not what I mean at all. In fact, I've only just finished the Point Lookout expansion last night. The main storyline, incredibly involving a brain in a jar and a pissed off ghoul, wasn't bad. It's definitely not something I expected. The reason why I bring this up is that, after nearly 80 hours played (according to my save file) I think I'm ready to leave this world behind. The thought of trudging through the swamp, fighting off mutated hillbillies to see all of the unique locations and sidequests that Point Lookout has to offer holds no real interest to me. This is coming from someone who discovered and explored every single point of interest on the main area map, before any of the expansions came out.

Trying to come up with a rationalization as to why I feel this way now, one point continues to jump out at me. If someone can tell me exactly how a mutated hillbilly, who runs as if he's got a stick caught in his behind and carries nothing but an axe, can take 6+ headshots from a Plasma rifle and still be standing, I'd be really appreciative. Or, how does same stick-in-bum hillbilly hit me with an axe, while I'm wearing fully repaired Enclave Hellfire Armor, and knock my health down by a third or more? Seriously? Call it a small quibble, and I can even see why this would happen from a game balance perspective (this is the 4th expansion of a game catered to a fanbase that's probably well past the intended level cap, so Bethesda had to amp up both the health bar and damage potential to create any form of challenge), but still, c'mon people...

Obviously, this outcome was inevitable. There's only so long a game can hold your interest, right? (Sit down, all you WoW players and your years played on one character; I'm not talking about MMOs here) I guess I'm just sad that the game that has provided me so much enjoyment, surprises and genuine fun since last October no longer shines like it once did in my mind. Maybe I will play through Mothership Zeta, just to see all the content that Bethesda has produced. I'm really wavering, though, and that may be the most telling sign of all.

So, what's the next shiny penny I should pick up and play with for, oh, 50-60 hours? I hear that The Witcher is now on sale on Steam, complete with free nudity. Hmm, maybe I should check that out. It has to be better than staring at deformed chicks with mohawks and shotguns, right?

No comments: