Tuesday, August 18, 2009

JRPGs and Monkey Island

Made some progress in Lost Odyssey over the past few days, to the first 'boss', Gilgram on the mountaintop. Disappointed that it seems I'll have to grind a few levels to be able to survive the encounter. Otherwise the game is really working for me. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm digging the story cutscenes that pop up here and there, and I can't get enough of the dreams. Well-written, and really flesh out the main character in a way that games often can't. Hopefully I'll be able to get past the current bottleneck and enjoy some more.

Still plugging away at Final Fantasy PSP. Currently in the dwarf tunnel, and looking for Nerrick, who needs the Nitro Powder for some purpose. This is a great distraction for me at lunchtime, a way to turn off the work part of my brain and enjoy some geeky pastime at work. Playing two games at the same time that involve random battles (considering that Lost Odyssey was made by Mistwalker Studios, a team whose pedigree include several of the early Final Fantasies and Blue Dragon) gets a bit monotonous in today's age of seeing your enemies and often having the option of avoiding conflict, but the story of LO and the nostalgia of FF should keep me coming back.

Which brings me to Monkey Island. I'm sad to say that I think this game plays far more off the nostalgia of people who really enjoyed them back in the day than still being a great game nowadays. Don't get me wrong, the writing is fantastic, and it's clear that the developers had a sense of humor that translated well to games. It's just that some of the puzzles, while far less obtuse and downright ridiculous than those in the Sierra games of nearly the same vintage, just seem a bit silly. At this point, because I didn't play the game when it was first release and have none of the warm and fuzzy nostalgia that many have for it, I'm going through the motions and using the hint system a lot to keep moving forward. Blasphemy, I know, but to each their own.

Really looking forward to Shadow Complex tomorrow. This game scratches an itch that I definitely have, which is the entire 'Metroidvania' experience, harkening back to Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in spirit and function. There will be more discussion about that game in this space, you can be sure.

One final random aside. While serving as designated driver for my brother-in-law's bachelor party this past Saturday, I found out that prostitution is legal in the state of Rhode Island while indoors. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, let me explain...Every 'lady' at the establishment we visited would, at some point during their talking to me, would slip in the fact that there was more available than the usual lap dances, and they would be happy to show me. For an exorbitant fee, of course. After about an hour of trying to hide from as many girls as I could, getting one dance, and several $4 diet sodas, I retired to the minivan while the rest of the guys enjoyed themselves. Note to self: I need to make sure that I'm far more intoxicated before setting foot in a place like that again. Live and learn, I guess.

No comments: